Friday, June 12, 2015

Overnight Hike on West Rock


Amy and I hiked from our house all the way south on the Regicides Trail to New Haven.


Some of the way we went on Baldwin Drive because we weren't making good enough time on the trail. But since I'm no longer a purist, I was okay with that.


Saw the Judge's Cave again...


A baseball game at the base of West Rock cliff...


And collapsing on the porch of the Austin Street Inn, where we spent the night.


After a good night's sleep we headed out through the blooming mountain laurel (below).


We saw ravens (!), toads, numerous birds of all sorts, what may have been a coyote, and this little box turtle.

 
 
Made it to Lake Wintergreen in epic time...which of course gave me blisters later.
 


All in all, I would say we hiked 17 miles. These sorts of overnight hikes are possible all over Connecticut, but so few take advantage of our 'small size' to do it.


No comments: